Saturday 4 February 2012

Toddlers ..

I had two Brothers older than me and a Brother younger than me back then . Mum told me that she was half way through my Brother's first birthday party, when she set off into labour with me .. I must have seen the party and thought " I'm having some of that " ..  I came so fast, that Mum had to give birth to me at home upstairs. My Auntie, Mum's younger Sister, saw me born and is my Godmother .
My Brother and I grew up, always having two birthdays, being as he was born the day before me but a year earlier . People thought we were twins . We're still very close to this day .
The naughtiest thing I remember doing, was arguing with my little Brother over a book I had and he wanted . I had it on the top of one of those huge fire guards with the mesh top. I pushed him backwards and on to the hot fire ashes from the night before. Not on purpose I might add .
His backside was really blistered bless him . I remember he had dressings on there for weeks afterwards and he cried every time they had to be changed . I didn't feel any remorse back then. So young to realise the consequences of my actions .
I've apologised to him since and we laugh about it now but oh my goodness, what a little Minx I was..

Dad fitted us a pair of speakers in the bedroom, so we could listen to music he was playing . I always loved Mario Lanza's " Guardian Angels". Such a  beautiful song . I remember "Speedy Gonzales" playing too and "Mr Baseman "..
Sunday morning's were special to me back then . I would wake up to hear wonderful music, then go downstairs to a full English breakfast, followed by my Dad sitting me high up on a stool, or a box on a chair, taking my hair up into a bun to go to Sunday School.
He did this EVERY Sunday and I'll always cherish the memory of it .
This was the same stool Dad used to pull our loose baby teeth out with a " special " pair of pliers he kept especially for the task .. Mum STILL has all our baby teeth in a jar somewhere, as I have my boys too.

The most frightening thing that happened to me, was when a fight broke out in the yard one day . Two of the neighbours were fighting over something and nothing and Mum made us all get under the table in the kitchen . I could hear milk bottles breaking and lots of scuffling noises coming from the outside toilets as they fell in and out of them, I was SO scared . Grandad came to make sure we were all okay when it was over .
Dad was furious when he got home. I think he tore a strip off the pair of them later .

No comments:

Post a Comment