Thursday 2 February 2012

My early years

I am the oldest Daughter in a family of seven children and the only one to be born at home in Attercliffe Sheffield. Maybe that's why I suffer from home sickness very easily whenever I have to go away.  I grew up in the same yard as my Grandma and Grandad and my Aunties, Uncles and Cousins, so it was always a family affair whenever parties were held for whatever occassion .
I always remember my Uncle for his singing and his Dormobile and another Uncle for his motorbike and side car where my Auntie used to sit.
I loved living so close to my Grandma and Grandad. They always used to stick up for us when the old man  next door pinched our ball. She would bang on his door and shout abuse at him until he gave it back .. Fiery but loving was my Grandma ..
One of my earliest memories of Attercliffe, was one of the younger neighbours dancing to The Twist out in the yard .. It was a regular thing and I loved to watch her . Maybe she gave me the performing bug, I don't know.
I always remember hearing my Dad singing. He was a Tenor and sang like Mario Lanza then . He looked like him too, with his red hair and the quiff .. I was in awe of his beautiful voice . Mum would sing along as she cooked and cleaned too, although she told me that to this day, she's never heard my Dad sing.  She used to sing in the Salvation Army and played the Tambourine. It was inevitable that at least SOME of us would get the performing bug as we grew older . I used to dance and sing while I stood on my Grandma's wall outside her front door. I especially remember singing " Watching all the girls go by " And also " Leaning on a lamp post " for some reason . I remember twirling my umbrella as I danced and sang .. A proper Shirley Temple I was ..

6 comments:

  1. good to see you writing Pat... <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lyn .. Thank you .. I 've wanted to write it for a long time but thought my boys might be embarrassed by it . I have their blessing, so here goes x x

      Delete
  2. Nice to see you on Blogger again Pat. Now we know where you and Steve get your voices from! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only just seen this post Jeannette .. Thank you very much x x

      Delete
  3. I can tell this is going to be a lovely journey down your memory lane. Can't wait to read more. I admire you for telling your lifes story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On;y just seen your comment Connie .. Thank you x x

      Delete